Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Dream Passion Purpose


I have written a few entries about dreams and pursuing them, but I have only glazed the surface of what my true dream is.  I often have people ask me what degree I am working to obtain and though I say it over and over again, I understand why it’s hard to remember.  My degree will be in Liberal Studies.  For those of you who don’t know what that is, at OSU it is a program through which you create your own degree.  The way you do this is by selecting a series of classes from any of the colleges in the Liberal Arts department and after compiling them you write an essay justifying how each course relates to your theme.  In order to properly explain my theme to you I would like to tell you how I chose it. 

What I have discovered is that we don’t always get to choose who makes their way into our lives.  It isn’t always about whom we let in or whom we manage to keep out.  I often find myself in a situation where I am wondering how a person got there.  They entered my life not because I wanted them to, but that I needed them to.  I didn’t know that I needed them.  Often these relationships caused me pain and though at the time I thought I would have liked to have avoided the pain, it taught me something and that something was usually about my character, purpose, or passion.    

I manage to sit up and dangle my legs over the side of the bed.  The mattress begins to inflate again due to the adjustment of pressure.  A hand is bracing my back and the pain in my abdomen increases with every breath.  I grasp the two outstretched arms and brace myself as I get into the upright position.  My feet touch the floor.  Legs trembling, I manage to take my first step.  Looking for my next set goal I seek out the hard blue chair in the corner.  It seems so far away.  The pain is throbbing, and my legs are so weak I try to distract my mind.  Tubes are protruding out of me everywhere.  The tangled mess looks like a map of crisscrossing highways.  Hands are coming from everywhere to help keep the lines in place as I focus solely on my goal.  Reaching the chair, I sit down with a sigh of relief and a grunt from the pain.  In… Out… In… Out… I clutch the pillow closer to my chest as my mom pulls out the camera.  Cursed scrapbookers, they never miss the perfectly inopportune moments to get a picture.  What a lovely moment, my hair looks like I was just electrocuted.  In my mind I wonder if it would be easier to cut it off instead of let my mom near it with a brush.  I know for certain it would be less painful. 

The nurse returns with a wheelchair and I stand up once again and begin taking another step.  Walking on the sticky sparkle covered floor of my room, I make it to the door where the wheelchair is.  Lowered into the chair by the arms that held me up, we turn towards the hall.  Roaming we follow the signs to the school.  The chair is hard and my neck is weak.  Straining to keep my head up since there is no headrest, I roll over the striped carpet.  Red, blue, green, yellow, I watch as the stripes pass under my feet. 

Turning to the left we see the school’s secretary.  She talks to my parents about enrolling me as I continue to let my mind wander.  School is the last place I want to be right now, but maybe it will take my mind off of the pain I am experiencing from my incision.  My bright yellow mask seems to blend in here.  Every student has something in common; they are each connected to Lucile Packard Children’s Hospital.  The specific reason doesn’t matter, what matters is that in this parallel universe we aren’t alone. Looking around you might see children with scars, precious bald scalps, and bright colored masks, but what I see is a world where I belong and potential friends that will understand me.

It was in that classroom that I met Rhonda.  A beautiful girl, but you would never know.  She was so thin her skin hung loosely on her bones.  Her ankles looked like they could snap as they bared her little weight. Similar ages we were placed in the same class.  The yellow mask that covered up her smile drew out the pain that was in her eyes.  She had recently received a heart transplant and was slowly on her way to recovery. 

I will never forget, it was Mother’s Day and Rhonda was so excited.  Her mom was finally coming to visit.  She hadn’t seen her mom in over a month since the transplant.  I came to her room to help her make everything just perfect.  Lined up were several cards that she had made for her mom.  The first card I opened said, “Mom, I have a new heart.  You can love me now.” Card after card read similar messages.  My heart broke that day and it left a permanent scar.

I didn’t realize it in the moment, but that was when I discovered my passion in life, to let every child know they are loved. Holt International has a mission to share the compassion and love that Christ had for children and to find them permanent homes where they can feel safe and loved. When I answer the common question “What do you want to do with your degree?”  I begin explaining my dream to work for Holt International and every word pulses through my veins sending shivers from my cheeks, down through my spine, to the back of my knees.  The reality of helping change and save the lives of children around the world draws me in; mind, heart, body, and soul. 

Rhonda’s mom never did show up.  I found out later that she was in Child Protective Services and her mother wasn’t allowed to visit.  I asked my mom if we could adopt her, but soon her situation changed and she was placed back in the hands of her mom.  Rhonda passed away later that year when she coded in the ER.  She had missed some of her medications and her heart rejected.  I remember everything about the day I found out.  Rhonda’s death was the first death that had ever really touched me.  Before her I had never lost someone close to me.  I couldn’t help but think if she had been my sister, we could have saved her. 

God has used my disease to instill hope, not to steal it.  He has used it to open my eyes and change my heart through avenues only few are privileged to pass.  He has created me a fighter.  I fight for my life and I hope to fight just as vigilantly for those children in Holt’s orphanages someday.

The theme I have chosen is International Adoption Publication.  I want to pursue a career where I can use my ability to write to help the hurting, lost, precious, orphans around the world.  If all my dreams come true I would also get to be a mom to one or two or three of those beautiful spirited children.  Knowing that dream seems unattainable right now, I would be so blessed to have the opportunity to help through the avenues that God has gifted me with.  I am not just pursuing a degree, I don’t want just an education, I want to live out my passion; I want to love the unloved.  I don’t know why it took me 3 years of college to truly discover my purpose, but when God gave me this dream it was so wonderfully perfect.  It was in my heart all along, dating back to the day I met Rhonda.


No comments:

Post a Comment